Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Allure of the 'Burbs

BackyardTrees

I've been a city-dweller for over 10 years.

And I love it, mostly.  I love not having a car, I love the pace, the adrenaline, the ever-available distractions, the bragging rights (look, I made it here so I can make it anywhere, or so I've been told), the diversity, the history, the bagels, the bars, the street carts, the characters, the sights, and the sounds.

VioletsWindow

Except...maybe not the sounds.  Maybe I'm not as immune to the sirens and horn-honks and shouts and calls and clanks as I'd like to think.  And maybe the bright lights of Broadway are exciting, but there's also something to be said for the dark stillness of that street where I grew up.

Stephen Colbert once remarked "If you can’t get it at midnight in New York, it probably doesn’t exist."

He's mostly correct, with the possible exceptions of "quiet" and "dark."  Those two commodities are awfully hard to come by at midnight in the city.

All this to say: I slept amazingly well in the suburbs this week.

And I may be in the market for blackout curtains and a white noise machine.


1 comment:

Vaccinius said...

NOISE

A challenge of the modern life
is noise, in which you have no choice
other than to be in strife.
You loose affection in the noise.

:-)